Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Standoff

Photo credit: Robsalot (that's me!)


There is a mug
There is a mug that once contained coffee, or tea, or hot chocolate, or maybe just water
There is a mug that is sitting on the lip of the dresser, not on my side, not on his
There is a mug that has been sitting on the lip of the dresser for, well, I don’t know how long
The mug has always been on the lip of the dresser, not on my side, not on his
The mug is on the kitchen counter
It is the same mug, the yellow mug, with “The Mystery Spot” written on the side in black
The mug has a chip on the lip, I don’t know how that happened, neither does he
I am pretty sure we bought it that way, or maybe it acquired the chip on the way home
Either way, this mug is not my mug, and it is not his mug
This mug is just a mug, one of the ones we use when our favorite mugs aren’t clean
The mug is still on the kitchen counter.
The mug is still on the kitchen counter, but now it is getting closer to the sink
I am pretty sure, sometime in the last two weeks the mug has moved at least an inch closer to the sink
Did I accidently nudge the mug closer to the sink?
I am now avoiding the mug

Under no circumstances should I touch the mug
Okay, so my pinky brushed against the mug
Okay, so my pinky brushed against the mug and it may have moved closer to the sink
The mug is definitely closer to the sink
Well I feel it is time to let you know that it was not me that used the mug
It was not me that used the mug, I always use my own mugs, not the random mugs
I always use my own mugs, clean them out, and put them away after
So it was not me who used the mug, but who did…
He says it was not him either
He says it was not him and his friends have not been around in over two months
My friends have also not been over for, oh wait
Wait, Lanie was over last month
Lanie was over last month, we went out, she slept on the couch
She slept on the couch, did she wake up earlier than us?
She may have woken up earlier than us
I definitely put out a mug for her, for coffee
She may have used it
She may have used it, then left it on the dresser after her shower, after Andy got up, and she was lounging on the bed with me, discussing, well, I don’t know
FUCK
I am not cleaning that mug
I have already done dishes three times this week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Full Steam Ahead

The clang of the bell and clatter of metal broke the tense silence; and a whirlwind of energy burst forth. Muscles, taught and rippling, swe...